I am still maintaining the easy dinners that don’t take forever to prep and cook…
Finally, I came upon some adult curly leaf, not baby spinach. It was perfect for José Andrés’s garlic shrimp dinner…we devoured dinner and I immediately filed the recipes into the “favorites” file. Michael was pleasantly surprised with the ingredients in the spinach a few raisins + pine nuts he thought it was going to be the dash of vinegar version now it is a go-to spinach recipe. The lemon stood in nicely for that tart factor.
The difficult part is finding the spinach as not everyone carries fresh bunches.
Garlic Shrimp and Catalan Spinach…slightly adapted
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing bread
- 1 Golden Delicious apple, cut into ¼-inch dice
- 4 tablespoons pine nuts
- 4 tablespoons seedless raisins
- 10 ounces of baby spinach, I used 2 bunches of fresh curly leaf lettuce
- Salt, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 5 chiles de árbol, crumbled. I added a pinch of Sicilian pepper flakes
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 5 tablespoons brandy
- pieces of No.2 seafood seasoning
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice, plus 4 lemon wedges for garnish
- 4 slices country bread, ¾-inch thick
- Preheat broiler. Add 2 tablespoons oil to a large sauté pan over high heat. Once hot, add apples and cook until caramelized on all sides, 2-3 minutes.
- Add nuts and stir until lightly toasted, about 30 seconds. Add raisins and continue stirring until heated through, about 30 seconds.
- Add spinach and toss until just wilted, 1-2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and season with salt.
- Set a medium sauté pan with ¼ cup oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until it sizzles about 30 seconds. Add chiles and cook for 1 minute, ensuring the garlic does not burn. Turn the heat to high and add shrimp. I added a couple of little pinches of No.2 seafood seasoning, but any good seafood seasoning will do.
- Cook shrimp until they start to color, about 30 seconds. Add brandy and lemon juice to the pan. Flip shrimp and cook until they just curl, about 1 minute more. Remove pan from heat and season shrimp with salt.
- While shrimp cook, brush bread with oil and place slices under broiler. Toast both sides until golden, about 1 minute per side.
- Serve shrimp and spinach with toasted bread and lemon wedge.
You must be logged in to post a comment.