Oysters and Marinade
- 4 Virginica or Pacific oysters,* with shells
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- Salt (1 pinch for marinade and enough to coat baking dish)
- 1 pinch freshly-ground black pepper
Spicy Bacon Butter
- 1/4 pound butter (1 stick), softened
- 1/8 cup bacon, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon shallots, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- Chill in refrigerator until needed.
One Day Before Serving
- Shuck the oysters, saving the shells (they should be rinsed before shucking and washed thoroughly after shucking).
- To make the marinade, combine all other ingredients, stirring until the brown sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the marinade over the oysters and refrigerate overnight in a well-sealed container. Be sure that the oysters are covered by the marinade.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Pour salt in the baking dish (the salt will help keep oyster shells upright during baking).
- Place four shells on top of the salt and put one marinated oyster into each shell. Roast in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, until plump.
- Transfer to a serving plate, garnish each oyster with a small piece of spicy bacon butter and serve immediately.