- Prep Time
- 15 minutes
- Total Time 1 hour 25 minutes
- Serves 6
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 navel oranges (preferably organic), 1 zested, both cut into 2-inch wedges
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme, plus a few sprigs
- 1 whole chicken (4 to 4 1/2 pounds)
- 2 red onions, peeled and cut into 1 1/2-inch wedges
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Mash garlic and 1 teaspoon salt into a paste.
- Combine garlic paste, butter, zest, and chopped thyme. Gently separate skin from breast of chicken, and rub half of the butter mixture under the skin on each side. Season with salt.
- Fill cavity with 2 orange wedges, 1 onion wedge, and thyme sprigs. Place chicken, breast side up, on a rimmed baking sheet, and tuck wings under. Tie legs together with kitchen twine. Scatter remaining oranges and onions around chicken. Dot oranges and onions with 1 tablespoon butter mixture.
- Roast for 30 minutes. Brush chicken with remaining butter mixture. Flip oranges and onions. Rotate sheet, and roast for 15 minutes more. Remove oranges and onions if caramelized. Roast chicken until juices run clear and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh reaches 165 degrees, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.