Well now there’s another use for this lively salt concoction…must try, I use the salt for all sorts of things, but this time to season fish as well as a citrus sauce made from the zested fruit.
Menu Blackened Cod or Grouper with Brown Butter Peppered Carrots and Peas.
Pink and White Citrus Salt-1 cup coarse salt-3 tablespoons of zest 1 lime, two oranges, 2 lemons and grapefruit, dry in 200°-220° oven until zest is dry start with 10 minutes, cool and pulse in a small bowl of processor…
Blackening spice, store in a sealed jar:
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 ¼ tablespoons Sweet paprika
2 tsp chili powder
¼ to 1 teaspoon ground cayenne
1 tsp ground coriander (you can grind whole coriander in a food processor)
1 teaspoon each dried thyme, basil, and oregano
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 tsp granulated powder
All of the grapefruit and lemon juice is too bitter for the sauce, but use a little of each for some of the orange juice, tasting for bitterness
- 1 1/2 cups fresh orange juice (I had a blend of Cara Cara & Blood orange juices
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 shallot minced
- 1/3 cup white wine, a little on the sweet side
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- Citrus salt or Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a small skillet over high heat, boil fresh orange juice, lime juice, shallot, white wine, and reduce to about 1/2 cup, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from heat; whisk in 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard and butter. Season with a little of citrus salt or coarse salt and ground pepper.
Blackened Cod or Grouper
Preparation for Two 1 to 1-1/2 inch thick fish fillets
- Preheat oven to 400° degrees.
- Brush fish fillets with oil and coat fish in spices. *Optional-Grate a little lemon zest over
- Heat a large sauté pan with one tablespoon olive oil
- Sauté fish for 1 – 2 minutes per side. Transfer to heated oven finish cooking in the oven for 5 – 7 minutes or until fish flakes easily with fork. Serve with citrus sauce.