8 small link Cumberland sausages or in Jamie’s recipe 2 curled Cumberland sausages (the curled sausage is just too much for 4 people-more like feeds 8)
A bunch of fresh sage leaves picked
A bunch of fresh rosemary leaves picked
about 4+1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled
Sea salt & ground black pepper
1+1/4 cups milk
4+1/4 ounces butter
4 tbsp freshly grated horseradish or use jarred
4 medium red onions, peeled & finely sliced
5 tbsp balsamic or red wine vinegar
2 beef or chicken stock cubes (I used a concentrated stock pod)
1. Preheat oven to 392º
2. Tuck garlic and most of the sage between the layers of sausage. Secure with skewers.
3. Place them on an oiled baking tray, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle rosemary leaves.
4. Cook in the oven for 20 mins, until crisp and golden.
5. 5 mins before done, remove from oven, place rest of sage next to sausages and drizzle olive oil and return to oven.
6. For the mash:
1. Peel and cut potatoes in quarters boil potatoes in salted water until cooked.
2. Drain and mash until smooth, adding milk, 2+1/2 ounces butter, and horseradish.
3. Season well to taste & keep warm.
7. For the onion gravy:
1. Fry onions really slowly, in a little oil, covered for about 15 mins until soft.
2. Remove lid, turn the heat up and as soon as onions become golden brown, pour in vinegar and boil until it almost disappears.
3. Turn heat down, add rest of butter, crumble in stock cubes or concentrated stock pod and 2+1/2 cups of water and stir well. Simmer until nice gravy consistency.