Soup is the song of the hearth and the home.
Rain is rolling in tonight and for the weekend so another pot of soup is in order…
Previously enjoyed a few times in the winters of the past… the crazy cold, windy, rain, sleet, ice, and snow across the country we here in coastal Carolina were not spared a bit of winter ugly which called for nothing but a Sunday comfort chicken dinner, a homestyle favorite dressing for Michael, and carrots Vichy for me.
While we thoroughly enjoyed a great Sunday chicken dinner the leftovers made the best pot of bistro style chicken soup…choose whatever noodle that you prefer. I hoped for big fat egg noodles, but the regular egg noodles are fine and that is what I had in the pantry. Mike prefers the baby shells so we shall see what his choice is tonight.
After you pick and shred the chicken simmer the carcass bones with carrots, celery, onions, herbs, spices and a blast of Better than Bouillon for a deep chicken flavor. I normally have concentrated stock pods in the pantry, but not today so the bouillon stepped in…
- Suggested chicken soup ingredients
- Chunked and shredded roasted chicken
- Shallots at least 2
- 1 leek, white and light green parts quartered and diced
- Carrots 2 medium, sliced or use fancy crinkled
- 4-5 Fresh Campari tomatoes large dice
- Garlic, 2,minced For an additional layer of flavor
- Homemade chicken stock or Knorr concentrated stock pods
- Better than bouillon
- Lemon: For a tang so prevalent in French cooking
- Carrots, celery
- Herbs de Provence
- Lemon thyme:
- Bay leaf or two
- a pinch of cayenne or not
- Parmesan cheese rind
Your favorite pasta or noodles
My all-time favorite roasted chicken is Dorie Greenspans recipe:
You must be logged in to post a comment.