Stuffed peppers are perfect for a cool evening dinner and as it happens my green peppers turned out to be “other colors” and quite the 6 pepper pack from Sam’s, no worries but the intent was to stuff green peppers to keep within the “Green or Irish” theme at the cooking club. I started off with Ina’s recipe and ended up, as usual adding this and that. Link to Ina’s recipe below.
I started out with some leftover rice pilaf, about 3/4-1 cup
2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium shallots small diced
2 tbsp. tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, minced
*Optional Italian sausage seasoning instead of salt and pepper
1/2 lb. ground beef or use 1 pound
1 (14.5-oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
Freshly ground black pepper
3 bell peppers, tops and cores removed, halved down from the stem
1 c. shredded Monterey jack or any cheese that you prefer.
Chopped parsley, for garnish as well as pinches of sausage seasoning.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil and brown the ground beef for about 5 minutes. Add onion and cook for 3 or so minutes with the beef. Stir in tomato paste, garlic, and sausage seasoning cook for about 1 minute more. Drain fat.
- Stir in cooked rice and diced tomatoes. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Let simmer until liquid has reduced slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Place peppers cut side-up into a baking dish and drizzle with oil. Season with pepper and salt or sausage seasoning. Spoon beef mixture into each pepper and top with shredded cheese, then cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake until peppers are tender, about 35 minutes. Uncover and bake until cheese is bubbly, 10 minutes more.
- Garnish with parsley before serving.
Ina Garten Stuffed Peppers
You must be logged in to post a comment.